October is Fire Prevention Month
Here are some tips and check out our links page for other websites.
Fire Safety Checklist:
- Designate two escape routes from each bedroom and practice them regularly.
- Teach everyone the "Stop, Drop, and Roll" technique in case clothing catches on fire.
- Teach kids that matches, lighters and candles are tools, not toys. If you suspect that a child is playing with fire, check under beds and in closets for telltale signs like burned matches. Matches and lighters should be stored in a secure drawer or cabinet.
- Make sure you have working smoke detectors. A great time to check the batteries is when the time changes.
- Have a working fire extinguisher .
- Teach your children about 911 and the correct way to use it. Have a list of what they should tell the dispatcher by the phone.
- Let your children know firefighters and medical personnel are not to be scared of and we are there to help them.